Everyone wants a flat stomach with less fat. Unfortunately, you don’t get a flat stomach just like that. Just reducing the number of calories does not seem to be enough to make belly fat disappear. For this, you have to make wise food choices but also get started with abdominal exercises.
Figures in the Netherlands show that about 52 per cent of men and 45 per cent of women are overweight. In most cases, there is mainly belly fat in men and in women more often around the hips. Belly fat presents more health risks than hip fat.
Health risks from abdominal fat
Accumulation of belly fat entails health risks. This is because the fat also sits inside the abdomen. The fat cells around the abdominal organs are much more active and produce hormones and other substances. This increases the risk of diabetes, increased cholesterol and cardiovascular diseases.
Experts from Framingham Nutrition Studies reported that women who ate nearly 400 fewer calories but opted for less healthy foods (more saturated fat, more trans fat, more alcohol and less fiber), a 2.5 times higher risk of abdominal obesity (overweight on the than the women who ate much more but made better food choices. This indicates that certain products can cause fat to accumulate in the abdomen and that this does not necessarily have to be due to the number of calories.
Sensible choice of food
For a flat stomach, eating less does not make sense, but you can make wise choices that have nothing to do with following a diet. These are simple choices in the food that you can make in your daily life:
- Eat many plant-based products such as fruit, vegetables and whole-grain cereal products. This contains a lot of fibres, vitamins and minerals that are good for your health. Many plant-based products are low in calories, so they help if you want to lose weight.
- Drink lots of water. This way your body can dispose of waste more easily and this helps for a flatter stomach.
- Start the day well and always start with a good breakfast. Research shows that people who skip breakfast get a tummy earlier.
- Eat fish: Fish is healthy in many ways. Especially fatty fish such as herring, salmon and mackerel are recommended. They contain omega 3 fatty acids that offer protection against cardiovascular disease. Moreover, fatty fish is rich in proteins. This works positively if you want to lose weight because it fills well. By eating a lot of protein you can eat less without feeling hungry.
- Stop eating fast sugars such as cake, candy, chocolate, but also white bread, white pasta and fries. The sugars in these types of products give you a bloated feeling that makes your belly appear thicker and feels than when you leave these types of products. Don’t forget soft drinks and fruit juices.
Abdominal muscle exercises
If you follow the above tips and make sure that you do not get too many calories, you will notice that your belly size will quickly decrease. To get a flat stomach it is also important to boost your energy with good sleep. Because unfortunately, it is not always possible to lose weight. There are many exercises that are effective, whatever you choose, always try to train all abs. So not only the old-fashioned crunches for your straight abs but also your oblique and lower abs. And preferably also strengthen your back muscles.
Last but not least
Watch your posture. You may have lost weight and have a flat stomach, but if you sit and walk forward you will not see it. So upright, shoulders back, buttocks in and chest forward.